Old Athens Photos Aiolou Street.

Back to Old Athens Photos

 
Select Image and click Download to see it in full resolution

Aiolou Street

Aiolou street (The street of the greek God of the winds in english) was named by the ancient greek Tower of winds. The tower of the winds is still situated at the beginning of the street at the Roman Agora archaeological area. Since the begging of the modern Athens and the reign of king Otto it was an important commercial road. It leads until today straight to the Patissia district of Athens. Near the tower of winds during the ottoman’s rule there was the upper bazaar and the turkish seminary (Mendreses in turkish and greek). That period the english ambassador lord Elgin with the approval of local ottoman rulers snatched the Acropolis marbles.  In order to appease the locals he built close  to Aiolou street a tower with four clocks.


Bazaars

During the Ottomans rule, Athens had many bazaars.

The upper bazaar situated around the Tower of the Winds area at Aiolou street. At the gate of Athena Archegetis was the wheat Bazaar. A little further low at Pandrosou street was the low bazaar also known as Tsarsi (Tsarsi is the market in turkish and english). At the Thiseio square was the horse bazaar. After the revolution the upper bazaar was renamed Palaia Agora (old market english). Of course the bazaars weren’t organized in specified building. They were a row of wooden sheds and the good were moved and removed on a daily based. In 1884 the upper bazaar was completely destroyed by fire. The same period had began the construction of the municipal market under european standards, which is survives until today with the name Varvakios agora.


Mendreses

The Turkish seminary - Mendreses was built in 1721. Students (Softades in turkish and greek) studied the islam religion and the ottoman law until the liberation of Athens by the greeks. in 1846 it was converted by the danish architect Christian Hansen  into a jail. Near  the jail there was a plane tree which the prisoners used to salute before their execution. In 1914 it was demolished due to archeological excavations.


Aiolos Hotel

The Aiolos Hotel (The hotel of the greek God of the winds in english) was one of the first purposely built hotels in Athens after the greek revolution against Ottomans. It still survives, it needs renovations and remain unobserved by the most walkers. It was built during 1835-1837 and designed by the greek architect Kleanthis. Until Aiolos hotel most visitors of Athens were staying in Houses or run down Inns. Aiolos hotel was the first to offer more than the basic needs. It had twenty five rooms and two stages. Until lately the ground floor was operational with tourist shops. After the earthquakes in 1999 it suffered damages and the greek ministry of culture started its renovation in 2009. Nowadays is  sealed and slow renovations are being made for years.


title

1944 Athens Aiolou Street and Stadiou December

Place of the of the photos on the map. View larger map.